Friday, February 26, 2010

My favorite Body Care Products: L’Occitane, Crabtree and Evelyn

L’Occitane products are made in Provence, France. They have boutique stores in shopping malls throughout the world and are available online as well. I love their Rose and Lavender products but their prices are high.


Crabtree and Evelyn (C&E) products are made in England. Chances are you will find Crabtree and Evelyn stores in the same malls as L’Occitane. I am enamored of their Rosewater and Lavender products, but most especially their prices.

Since I use both L’Occitane and Crabtree and Evelyn products, I shall break down the comparison by each product that I use.

  • Shower gels: L’Occitane wins without a question. I use the larger size that comes with a pump. These larger sizes are usually available during the holiday season. 3 pumps are all that’s necessary to cleanse the whole body, leaving no filmy residue or greasy feel. I’m left in a fragrant cloud of Rose or Lavender. There is nothing wrong with C&E shower gels but I constantly have to squirt more to get the same coverage. C&E fragrance is more subtle than L’Occitane’s and smells “real”, not chemical-like.
    • Price wise, C&E wins because my local C&E store constantly has sales, some as much as 50% off. If it weren’t for the sale, I’d say they cost about the same, since I have to use more of C&E each time
  • Body lotion: both have similar consistency and coverage, but L’Occitane fragrance is more intense. Absorption wise, there is something odd about L’Occitane body lotion. I noticed that I could sometimes “rub off” L’Occitane remnants from my legs an hour after initial application, but this only occurs during the summer months… I have never experienced this during other times of the year. And I have to say this never happens with C&E’s body lotion at any time. Because of this issue, I switch to C&E Rosewood body lotion during the summer months.
    • Price wise, C&E wins. Again, constant sales are held throughout the year. I never buy C&E products unless there is a promotion
  • Body cream: I love L’Occitane’s body cream, especially the Rose Pearlescent Body Cream. The cream is thick and spreads nicely. The resulting shimmery glow on my skin is just awesome. My skin is left feeling soft and silky. I could easily go through a jar within a month… C&E cream is less dense but spreads nicely too. However, I notice that my skin feels less dewy after using C&E versus L’Occitane’s. Since the cream is denser than the lotion, I apply the cream only to really dry and rough spots like my heels, lower legs, arms and elbow. These areas are most exposed to the elements and suffer the most abuse. Oh and I don’t have the “rub off” issue with either brand’s body cream, only with L’Occitane’s body lotion…
    • Price wise, C&E wins, especially with 40 to 50% off sales they seem to hold on a monthly basis. Both brands have special packages during the holiday season that make great gifts…
Both L’Occitane and Crabtree and Evelyn are extremely popular throughout Asia, especially in Taiwan and China.

  • L’Occitane products are sold in duty free shops throughout US, European and Asian airports. I have done my due diligence during my travels and found that duty free prices are within 10% of store prices in the US. Rose is a popular fragrance in Asia but less so here in the US. Prices in Asian department stores are outrageous; I’ve seen markups as high as 2 to 3 times US prices.
  • Crabtree and Evelyn products are not found in duty free shops in the US and Asian airports. I find this very strange since the markups in department stores in China and Taiwan are easily up to 5 times the prices in the US stores. In other words, prices for both brands are similarly priced and overly inflated in China and Taiwan but E&C is a lot cheaper in the US during sale promotions.
If you have a trip to China/Taiwan and you have female relatives and friends on your gift list, pay close attention to Crabtree and Evelyn sale promotions at your local mall. Gifting C&E products will earn you bonus points with the ladies but you don’t have to spend a fortune. You’ll just look at you did.

And what about L’Occitane products, you ask? Well, just spoil yourself with these lovely products, as they are expensive luxuries. Go ahead, you deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment